Quality Assurance Department
Ms Nyasha R. Chipembere (Quality Assurance Officer)
- After realizing that demand for provision of safer quality health services delivered at a lower cost, with greater accessibility, accountability, efficiency and effectiveness was no longer an option rather a necessity in today’s world, Chitungwiza Central Hospital introduced the Quality Management Systems programme in its three year strategic plan in October 2006 with the aim of integrating the hospital processes into a professional business system.
- This initiative resulted in appointment of the Quality Assurance Manager and office also opened to establish all the required standard operating procedures, policies, work instructions and manual documents to ensure operations and processes are standardized against best practices and make easy reference to them.
- The introduction of this new process approach to business has seen the hospital being awarded QMS ISO 9001:2000 certification in 2008 by the Standards Association of Zimbabwe (SAZ) and became the first public health institution to attain that recognition in Zimbabwe .
- Since 2008, the hospital successfully went through the transition process to attain ISO 9001:2008 in 2010 and has managed to implement and meet the ISO QMS Standard requirements to maintain the certificate to date. Now migrated to QMS ISO 9001:2015 certification.
The attainment of ISO QMS 9001 certification has also confirmed Chitungwiza Central Hospital’s commitment to providing quality service that would meet the needs and expectations of its clients and stakeholders all the time.
- In order to ensure there is consistency in provision of high quality, safe and effective healthcare services, the hospital has trained and tasked the QMS internal auditors to periodically assess and evaluate performance of all hospital departments against best standard requirements and identify opportunities for continual quality improvement by recommending holistic corrective actions.
The prestige and self-confidence by management and staff for working in an environment of high esteem and professionalism with an international flair has also resulted in Hospital receiving national recognition and awards as a quality champion in health sector.